What Is The Workplace EV Charging Scheme?
If you own or run a business, you might be aware of the OZEV Workplace Charging Scheme. Providing a cheaper electric vehicle charging solution, the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) is a grant which businesses can use for EV charging point installation. There are numerous benefits to this scheme, but it won’t be lasting forever – in March 2024 this EV charging scheme will end!
So, read on to find out all you need to know about the Workplace Charging Scheme and how EV charging point installation can be made easier with it.
What Is It?
A government scheme offered by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) aims to have more electric vehicles on the road with increased charging infrastructure.
- The WCS will heavily discount the purchase and installation of an EV charging point installation for a workplace. EV charging installation costs will be reduced by 75% (capped at £350 per socket).
- A single business can claim for up to a maximum of 40 sockets.
How Do I Qualify?
This EV charging scheme is available for all businesses, charities, and public authorities. However, there are some conditions that must be met.
- Chargepoint use must be for Staff and/or Fleet use.
- There needs to be sufficient off-street parking available, either on or near the place of work and used only by staff.
- Whilst you won’t need to currently have electric vehicles as a part of your current fleet, your business has to express a future interest in doing so.
- The EV charging point installation must be installed by an OZEV-approved provider of electric vehicle charging solutions, such as StarkEV.
It’s worth noting that if you run a hotel, holiday home, camping grounds, or other short-stay accommodation, EV charging points through the WCS grant are now available.
What Are The Benefits?
EV charging is often most effective when situated at workplaces, as cars and other vehicles will naturally be stored there for longer periods of time. Benefits include:
- If you don’t currently have electric vehicle charging solutions, this means you spend an extra £1,000 per year for 10,000 miles worth of fuel for a commercial fleet.
- You’ll be able to easily meet your business’ sustainability goals, heavily reducing CO2 emissions and greenhouse gases.
- EV charging at a workplace can improve the reputation of your business to employees and clients alike. It demonstrates and encourages a progressive attitude towards the environment.
What Do I Do Next?
To apply to the Workplace Charging Scheme, you need to complete an online application. If you’re eligible for this EV charging scheme, you’ll get a voucher which you can present to whoever is undertaking the EV charging point installation.
StarkEV are OZEV-approved EV charging point installation experts who can offer high-quality electric charging solutions under the Workplace Charging Scheme. If you’re eligible for the WCS and need EV charging points installed for your business, we are the people to call for end-to-end electric vehicle charging solutions.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to find out more.